Friday, September 08, 2006

Irving Penn - My Heroes Cont.


This image of a rather nattily attired gentleman with a cigarette holder is a portrait of Tennessee Williams by Irving Penn. One of my favorite authors photographed by one of my favorite photographers, it doesn't get any better than that.

In 1958 Irving Penn was named one of "The World’s 10 Greatest Photographers" in an international poll conducted by Popular Photography Magazine. Penn’s statement at the time is a remarkable summation of purpose and idealism: "I am a professional photographer because it is the best way I know to earn the money I require to take care of my wife and children."

Penn has won renown as much in editorial photography as in advertising illustration, and his innovations especially in portraiture and still life have set him apart stylistically. In later years he turned to television commercials as a outlet for his unique talent. One of the most imitated among contemporary photographers, his work has been widely recognized and extolled.

To learn more about one of the world's most imitated photographers click here.